There are three phases of trademark application.
- Examination – The Trademark Office will examine the application based on formalities, deceptiveness, descriptiveness, clarity and distinctiveness. Compliance is extremely important to avoid refusal.
- Registration – All applications will go through the prosecution stage where challenges and oppositions must be overcome. Once the opposing parties are defeated or if there are no opposing parties, the registration will be granted.
- Publication – The particulars will be made accessible to the public. It will be posted on the official Swiss online register database: http://www.swissreg.ch/.
- Mark and the good/service it represents
- Name and address of applicant
- Number of application and its date
- Information about priority claim
- Trademark representation